Subject: Re: [PATCHv2 2/2] attr: drop C/C++ default extension mapping

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:51:08 +0100

Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jeff King wrote:
>
>> But when you think about it, if our funcname pattern is bad, shouldn't
>> preventing (2) be the right thing? That is, if our funcname pattern is
>> really worse than the default language-agnostic match, wouldn't we be
>> doing everybody a service to simply remove the builtin
>> diff.cpp.xfuncname pattern?
>
> I don't see why.  Anyone who has set "diff=cpp" either likes suffering
> (maybe they are hoping to improve the pattern) or is working with a
> codebase for which the current pattern works better than the default
> behavior (maybe their codebase has a lot of goto labels aligned at
> column zero).  So removing the funcname pattern can only hurt them.

FWIW, the funcname pattern is not the only feature of the diff
attributes.  I set it mainly to get the built-in --word-diff split
regexes.

I agree with Peff's patches though, until the cpp pattern improves, we
should not turn them on by default.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch