Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 0/3] rebase: document, clean up, and introduce a config option for --rebase-merges

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 15:22:02 +0300

Alex Henrie <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> - Rephrase the warning about --rebase-merges="" to recommend
>   --rebase-merges without an argument instead, and clarify that that
>   will do the same thing

Not a strong objection to the series as they are, but, provided options
with optional arguments are considered to be a bad practice in general
(unless something had recently changed), I'd like to vote for adding:

  --rebase-merges=on (≡ --reabase-merges="")

and for suggesting to use that one instead of --rebase-merges="" rather
than naked --rebase-merges.

It'd be best to actually fix --rebase-merges to always have an argument,
the more so as we have '-r' shortcut, but as this is unlikely to fly due
to backward compatibility considerations, this way we would at least
avoid promoting bad practices further.

If accepted, please consider to introduce

  --rebase-merges=off (≡ --no-rebase-merges)

as well for completeness.

BTW, that's how we settled upon in the implementation of --diff-merges,
so these two will then be mutually consistent.

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov