Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/6] git.c: add a NEED_UNIX_SOCKETS option for built-ins

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 09:16:56 +0200

On Fri, Sep 10 2021, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón wrote:

> Sorry, if this is silly, but why is this not better (at least as a starting
> point, since it obviously will need more work?
>
> Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
>   "_cmd_credential_cache", referenced from:
>       _commands in git.o
>   "_cmd_credential_cache_daemon", referenced from:
>       _commands in git.o

I'm fine with it. I'm just trying to get to the end-goal of fixing the
formatting issue in "-h" output in the simplest way possible.

What you're suggesting would be effectively a revert of various parts of
b5dd96b70ac (make credential helpers builtins, 2020-08-13), which is
behavior I assumed we'd like to retain.

But yes, if changing that behavior is OK then this is simpler.

Anyway, all of this in v2 was in response to feedback on v1 to make the
v1 function in parse_options() easier, see summary at
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

But it does look like Junio would like to keep the only "real" in-tree
user of the current API in builtin/blame.c, so at that point removing
these by any method becomes a moot point, so I think I'l try some
alternate approach based on v1 that doesn't touch these at all again.