Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Sep 2021, #01; Thu, 2)

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 12:13:54 +0200

On Thu, Sep 02 2021, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> * js/retire-preserve-merges (2021-09-01) 7 commits
>  - tests: stop testing `git rebase --preserve-merges`
>  - remote: warn about unhandled branch.<name>.rebase values
>  - t5520: do not use `pull.rebase=preserve`
>  - rebase: drop the internal `rebase--interactive` command
>  - git-svn: drop support for `--preserve-merges`
>  - rebase: drop support for `--preserve-merges`
>  - pull: remove support for `--rebase=preserve`
>
>  The "--preserve-merges" option of "git rebase" has been removed.
>
>  Will merge to 'next'?

There's an outstanding re-roll of this topic that hasn't yet hit the
list. If you've got Johannes's git.git on github as a remote:

    git range-diff origin/master gitster/js/retire-preserve-merges dscho/drop-rebase-p

I.e. this is in response to some of my comments about now-dead code &
loose ends. Not all of that was addressed, e.g. the git-sh-i18n.sh
change, which is fine & per the discussion there can be done as a
follow-up, but I believe the current state per the above is that
Johannes is still going to submit a (hopefully final) v3.

> * gh/gitweb-branch-sort (2021-06-10) 1 commit
>  - gitweb: use HEAD as secondary sort key in git_get_heads_list()
>
>  Tie-break branches that point at the same object in the list of
>  branches on GitWeb to show the one pointed at by HEAD early.
>
>  Waiting for reviews.

I reviewed this & left a note in the last What's Cooking at
<[email-masked]>. I.e.:

    I don't use gitweb anymore, but looked this
    (<[email-masked]>) over just now. Looks
    good to me.

Perhaps it's better if I respond to the patches themselves with such
notes instead of to What's Cooking?