Subject: Re: PATCH: improve git switch documentation

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 12:52:36 +0300

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sergey Organov wrote:

[...]

>> Creating (a branch) is fundamentally different operation than switching
>> to (a branch), and that's why the former doesn't fit into "git switch".
>
> Not in my mind. Instead of switching to an existing branch, I'm switching
> to a new branch, which is easily understood by
> `git switch --new branch`.

To me:

"create a new branch" is basic operation.

"switch to another branch" is basic operation.

"create a new branch and then switch to it" is compound operation.

The latter could be implemented as either new-then-switch or
switch-to-new indeed, but the "new" part is the first action to be made,
so

  git new branch <branch-name>

that switches to the <branch-name> by default still sounds more logical
to me than current:

  git switch -c <branch-name>

Thanks,
-- 
Sergey Organov