Subject: Re: Git subtree stumbles over annotated tags

From: [email-masked] (David A. Greene)
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 18:02:41 -0500

Gregor Jasny <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On 10/03/16 16:51, Gregor Jasny wrote:
>> today I discovered that it's a bad idea to "git subtree pull" from an
>> annotated tag. This issue got discussed in those two threads:
>>
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/247503> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/248395>
>> I was under the impression that it is fixed in recent versions of git
>> but my homebrew 2.7.0 still behaves badly. If I run the attached script
>> to reproduce the issue I get the following error message:
>
> For the record: this bug was already fixed in November:
> https://github.com/git/git/commit/5d65fe312e22594b7fec7349945fb0072987716b#diff-59f70cbe935ec223e3df413b94cab740
>
> Would it make sense to cherry-pick it into 2.7.x?

I wouldn't object to it if you can prepare the patch but git-subtree is
under heavy development and I don't have the free cycles to maintain a
"release" version of it.

                      -David