Subject: Re: CodingGuidelines Perl amendment

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 13:35:23 -0500

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 19:25:43 +0100 demerphq <[email-masked]> wrote: 

d> On 6 February 2013 19:05, Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:29:30 -0800 Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
JCH> Is it ever (as opposed to "not always") possible to omit braces?
>> 
>> Oh yes!  Not that I recommend it, and I'm not even going to touch on
>> Perl Golf :)

d> I think you are wrong. Can you provide an example?

d> Larry specifically wanted to avoid the "dangling else" problem that C
d> suffers from, and made it so that blocks are mandatory. The only
d> exception is statement modifiers, which are not only allowed to omit
d> the braces but also the parens on the condition.

Oh, perhaps I didn't state it correctly.  You can avoid braces, but not
if you want to use if/elsif/else/unless/etc. which require them:

condition && do_this();
condition || do_this();
condition ? do_this() : do_that();

(and others I can't recall right now)

But my point was only that it's always possible to get around these
artificial restrictions; it's more important to ask for legible sensible
code.  Sorry if that was unclear!

Ted