Subject: Re: git-subtree

From: [email-masked] (David A. Greene)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 09:03:38 -0600

Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> David Greene wrote:
>> I have a patch ready.
>> How does the git community want the patch presented?
>
> Please read and follow the guidelines listed in
> Documentation/SubmittingPatches.  The TL;DR version is: break it up
> into logical reviewable commits based on the current `master` and use
> git format-patch/ git send-email to send those commits to this mailing
> list.

I've read that document.  The issue is that I didn't develop the code,
Avery did.  This is a completely new tool for git and I don't have the
first idea of what "logical" chunks would look like.  I assume, for
example, that we'd want the first "chunk" to actually work and do
something interesting.  I can go spend a bunch of time to see if I can
grok enough to create these chunks but I wanted to check first and make
sure that would be absolutely necessary.  It's a lot of time to learn a
completely new codebase.  I was hoping to submit something soon and then
learn the codebase gradually during maintenance/further development.

How have completely new tools be introduced into the git mainline in the
past?

Thanks!

                              -Dave