Subject: Re: Git server eats all memory

From: Ivan Kanis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:50:46 +0200

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The standard followup question in your case is: is the repository
> fully packed on the server? If not, maybe "git gc" or "git gc
> --aggressive" (expansive, but a one-time operation) could help.

Hi Mathieu,

I'll give it a shot when I get back to work.

I have done the following:

git repack -adf --window=100 --depth=20 --window-memory=50m

It greatly helps the compression stage that used up all the memory. The
problem is in the next phase when receiving objects. It is a bit strange
as receiving objects should not take up any memory on the server.

Take care,
-- 
Ivan Kanis
http://kanis.fr

Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on
top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of
things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible
concentration.
    -- Donald Knuth