Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 2/9] hook: parse the hook.jobs config

From: Adrian Ratiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2026 20:59:45 +0200

On Tue, 24 Mar 2026, Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2026 at 03:53:04PM +0200, Adrian Ratiu wrote:
>> diff --git a/Documentation/config/hook.adoc b/Documentation/config/hook.adoc
>> index 9e78f26439..b7847f9338 100644
>> --- a/Documentation/config/hook.adoc
>> +++ b/Documentation/config/hook.adoc
>> @@ -22,3 +22,7 @@ hook.<friendly-name>.enabled::
>>  	configuration. This is particularly useful when a hook is defined
>>  	in a system or global config file and needs to be disabled for a
>>  	specific repository. See linkgit:git-hook[1].
>> +
>> +hook.jobs::
>> +	Specifies how many hooks can be run simultaneously during parallelized
>> +	hook execution. If unspecified, defaults to 1 (serial execution).
>
> I was wondering whether we also want to allow -1 as a way to say "use as
> many jobs as I have CPU cores". We also do this in some other places.
>
> Totally fine to ignore this for now though, we can still add it at a
> later point in time once somebody complains.

Yes, we can do this.

I already had the "use as many cpu cores as availble" logic in v1,
within a different context which I dropped, so it shouldn't be too hard
to add it back when hook.jobs == -1.

This is actually much cleaner than what we had in v1.

I'll do this in the next re-roll. Thanks!