Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Dec 2022, #05; Wed, 14)

From: Sean Allred <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 05:55:39 -0600

> * sa/git-var-empty (2022-11-27) 2 commits
>   (merged to 'next' on 2022-12-01 at 3b81dcb382)
>  + var: allow GIT_EDITOR to return null
>  + var: do not print usage() with a correct invocation
>
>  "git var UNKNOWN_VARIABLE" and "git var VARIABLE" with the variable
>  given an empty value used to behave identically.  Now the latter
>  just gives an empty output, while the former still gives an error
>  message.
>  source: <[email-masked]>

After reading gitworkflows.txt and maintaingit.txt, I take it 'next' is
a proving ground for the larger community to have a chance to suss out
any bugs/regressions. I'm going to assume no further input is needed
from me regarding this topic (unless of course I've got a bug!), but let
me know if I'm mistaken :-) (and thanks to all the folks who've already
provided review!)

Is now a good time to resume the conversation of exposing
GIT_SEQUENCE_EDITOR variable within git-var [1]? I expect the patch to
be mostly the same, but instead following the now-corrected pattern laid
out for GIT_EDITOR (and updated to use the new test helper functions).
Should I then base my branch on 'next' or upon 'sa/git-var-empty'
specifically (now merged to 'next')?

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/T/#u

--
Sean Allred