Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 19/34] fsmonitor-fs-listen-win32: implement FSMonitor backend on Windows

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 01:02:34 +0200

On Thu, Jul 01 2021, Jeff Hostetler via GitGitGadget wrote:

> From: Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]>
>
> Teach the win32 backend to register a watch on the working tree
> root directory (recursively).  Also watch the <gitdir> if it is
> not inside the working tree.  And to collect path change notifications
> into batches and publish.
>
> Signed-off-by: Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  compat/fsmonitor/fsmonitor-fs-listen-win32.c | 530 +++++++++++++++++++

<bikeshed mode> Spying on the early history of this (looking for the
Linux backend) I saw that at some point we had just
compat/fsmonitor/linux.c, and presumably some of
compat/fsmonitor/{windows,win32,macos,darwin}.c.

At some point those filenames became much much longer.

I've noticed you tend to prefer really long file and function names,
e.g. your borrowed daemonize() became
spawn_background_fsmonitor_daemon(), I think aiming for shorter
filenames & function names helps, e.g. these long names widen diffstats,
and many people who hack on the code stick religiously to 80 character
width terminals.