Subject: Re: git send-email says AUTH is unknown command?

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 17:22:31 +0200

On Thu, May 06 2021, Phillip Susi wrote:

> git send-email prompts for my SMTP password then says:
> Command unknown: 'AUTH' at /usr/lib/git-core/git-send-email line 1573.
>
> That line reads:
>
> smtp_auth_maybe or die $smtp->message;
>
> Why is it complaining that it does not know what AUTH means?  It is
> connecting to port 25 and /should/ be using STARTTLS.

This message is from your server indirectly, i.e. there is no AUTH verb
supported by it.

I'm almost certain that you'll find that you cannot in fact auth on port
25 on this server, and must use another port to do SSL from the start,
i.e. not STARTSSL[1].

We should probably intercept this in particular and emit a better error,
patches welcome :)

1. https://metacpan.org/release/libnet/source/lib/Net/SMTP.pm#L169