Subject: Mirror of git.git on gitlab.com

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 12:40:05 +0200

On Thu, Oct 18 2018, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> sites could do the same polling and mirroring.  I am just too lazy
>>> to open a new account at yet another hosting site to add that for
>>> loop, but I may choose to when I am absolutely bored and nothing
>>> else to do ;-).
>>
>> Do you mind if I squat gitlab.com/git/git in the meantime (i.e. create
>> an org etc.) and have it mirror github.com/git/git?, I'll hand the
>
> Obviously somebody who is not even interested in obtaining an
> account would appreciate, not just "would not mind", if a trusted
> member in the community did that for the community ;-)

I've set this up at https://gitlab.com/git-vcs

The /git namespace was taken (and I asked GitLab support if it was
stale, they said no). Also tried /git-scm and /gitscm, ditto. So I
settled on /git-vcs (version control system).

I mirrored all the repos that were on github.com/git (except for
cabal.git of course). This is being kept up-to-date with GitLab's own
mirroring feature, so it should always be max ~15m out of date v.s. the
GitHub version.

As an aside, I noticed that
https://github.com/git/sha1collisiondetection/ has never worked in
combination with git.git, i.e. it's cloned at a version that pre-dates
the initial introduction of the sha1collisiondetection submodule. Our
other mirrors don't seem to have it at all relative to
../sha1collisiondetection.git from their git.git.

Junio: What was the plan with that? It's never been used in combination
with git.git, so maybe we should just drop it?

If we'd like to keep it and if it was kept up-to-date some scripts of
yours we could use a relative URL in the .gitmodules, so e.g. if you
cloned from kernel.org you'd also get the submodule from there.

Also since we're fixing it, it would be good to delete the existing repo
and re-make it by clicking "fork" on
https://github.com/cr-marcstevens/sha1collisiondetection so GitHub shows
"forked from...", i.e. it's associated with the parent project in
GitHub's UI.