Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.17.0-rc1

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 18:59:07 +0100

On Wed, Mar 21 2018, Junio C. Hamano wrote:

> A release candidate Git v2.17.0-rc1 is now available for testing
> at the usual places.  It is comprised of 493 non-merge commits
> since v2.16.0, contributed by 62 people, 19 of which are new faces.

I have this deployed on some tens of K machines who all use git in one
way or another (from automated pulls, to users interactively), and rc0
before that, with a few patches on top from me + Takato + Duy + Derrick
since rc0 was released (and since today based on top of rc1). No issues
so far.

The specific in-house version I have is at:
https://github.com/git/git/compare/v2.17.0-rc1...bookingcom:booking-git-v2018-03-23-1

>  * Some bugs around "untracked cache" feature have been fixed.  This
>    will notice corrupt data in the untracked cache left by old and
>    buggy code and issue a warning---the index can be fixed by clearing
>    the untracked cache from it.
>    (merge 0cacebf099 nd/fix-untracked-cache-invalidation later to maint).
>    (merge 7bf0be7501 ab/untracked-cache-invalidation-docs later to maint).

FYI over some >10k machines I tested on around 1% had (very) verbose
warnings on "status", which was fixed as a one-off with 'git -c
core.untrackedCache=false status' as the
ab/untracked-cache-invalidation-docs suggest, and it hasn't happened
again since.