Subject: Re: [PATCH gitk 0/4] gitk support for git log -L

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 08:31:20 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thomas Rast <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Whether the option value is a separate argument in argv, or directly
>> stuck to the option.
>>
>> stuck:   gitk -L:foo:main.c
>> unstuck: gitk -L :foo:main.c
>>
>> Existing gitk chokes on 'gitk -S foo', but works with 'git -Sfoo'.
>
> I somehow thought that we encourage the "stuck/sticked" form, to
> reduce things the users need to remember to cope better with options
> with optional value.

I just looked into this again, to get it rolling.

Am I reading you correctly as saying that any support for the unstuck
form is entirely coincidental, and it's okay to support only the stuck
version in new gitk?

Note that the support for 'git log -L' supports both, and it irks me
that the user can't switch back and forth between using 'gitk' and 'git
log' while leaving the rest of the command intact.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch