Subject: Re: The GitTogether

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:45:20 +0200

Scott Chacon <[email-masked]> writes:

> GitHub would like to volunteer to organize and pay for these events
> this year.  I would like to hold the developer-centric one in Berlin
> in early October

Yay, Berlin!  I would be glad to join there; I would probably not have
the time and resources to travel to SF this year.

> For those of you who *have* been to a GitTogether, what did you find
> useful and/or useless about it?  What did you get out of it and would
> like to see again?  For those of you who have never been, what do you
> think would be useful?  I was thinking for both of them to have a
> combination of short prepared talks, lightning/unconference style
> talks and general discussion / breakout sessions.

I was at the 2010 GitTogether in Mountain View.  I really liked the
unconference format, and the way Shawn and Junio used it: just using the
topic stickers as a sort of todo-list, not actually fixing any schedule
in advance.  Oddly enough we also managed to avoid the usual consequence
of open-ended discussions: getting stuck endlessly on an absolutely
insignificant point.

I think the discussions were very productive.  I would love to do more
hacking than we managed in 2010, but I realize that this is not possible
if we just meet for 2-3 days.  Perhaps one option would be to plan for
1-2 days of hacking after the discussion rounds, so that the interested
people can stay a bit longer?

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch