Subject: Re: Bug? Git checkout fails with a wrong error message

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:24:07 +0100

Glad that you could fix your repository.

Yves Goergen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Just like that stupid autocrlf that causes more issues than it solves. I
> regularly see files with all lines changed and the diff says that both
> files only differ in line endings. But I have no sure observation on
> whether that value was set or unset in those cases. I'll have to look
> after that, too.

Just please remember what I tried to teach you in this thread: copy and
paste actual command invocations and outputs, and let us do the
interpretation.  With CRLF problems, it may in addition help to pipe
through a utility that shows the presence or absence of \r, such as 'cat
-v'.

> These two config settings are not cloned with the repository, are they?

Neither config nor hooks are cloned.

> Also, TortoiseGit already sets ignorecase = true. So maybe the Visual
> Studio provider does the init on its own and is missing that. Or I have
> at some time cloned the repository and the setting wasn't copied over.

git-clone also autodetects the setting as part of initializing the
clone.  (Copying over the repository from a case-sensitive medium using
a case-sensitive OS would of course leave it unset.)

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch