Subject: Re: Managing websites with git

From: Jason Riedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 19:46:35 -0500

And David Bryson writes:
> One really should not push to a non-bare repo.

WHAT?!?!?!

And Jeff King responds:
> It's in master and should be in 1.6.1, but it is a config option that
> defaults to "warn" for now, so as not to break existing setups.

WHAT?!?!?!

I do this all the time.  I clone from my main working directory
onto some cluster / MPP where the build system is all wonky.
Once I get everything building, I push back to a branch (often
new) in my main working directory.  Then I can merge the build
changes whenever I get a chance.

Pushing from these systems often is much, much easier than
pulling from the origin.  Sometimes you're working in temporary
space on a back-end node; you can connect out but you cannot
connect in.

I've gotten a few people interested in git for managing these
nearly one-off build problems.  git is the first system that has
"just worked" for them.  Their having to configure each repo
eliminates the "just works" factor.

It feels like newer gits make more and more decisions about what
I shouldn't do.

Jason