Subject: Re: git svn dcommit crashed -- how do I resume?

From: Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:42:11 +0200

Jens Neuhalfen (2008-11-26 09:22 +0100) wrote:

> I am using git as a frontend to my SVN-Repository. When I tried to
> "git svn dcommit" several changes from my local git-repository, git
> crashed (SEGFAULT, AFAIR).

> I am confused (an slightly panicked), because my old commits seem to
> be "gone", my WC does not contain the most recent files and there
> seems to be no "backup-branch" with my old HEAD.

I don't know why the the dcommit crashed but I'm certain that you can
find your previous commits through the reflog. Try (one of) these
commands:

    git log --walk-reflogs [branchname]
    git log --walk-reflogs HEAD

They will show a list of commits about where [branchname] or HEAD has
been previously in _your_ repository. If/when you find the correct
commit (where you think the branch's head should be) copy its SHA1 and
create a new branch from it (git branch new-branch [SHA1]) - or just
reset the broken branch to that commit (git reset --hard [SHA1]).