Subject: Re: Unbalanced closing paren in help of git commit

From: Tomas Nordin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2024 19:35:03 +0000

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 07, 2024 at 12:33:21PM +0000, Tomas Nordin wrote:
>
>> The second line of the help message for git commit looks like this:
>> 
>>     [--dry-run] [(-c | -C | --squash) <commit> | --fixup [(amend|reword):]<commit>)]
>> 
>> See for example https://gitirc.eu/git-commit.html. It has two opening
>> parens and three closing parens. <commit> ends with a closing paren
>> before the closing bracket. Me and gsish (on IRC) suspect this is a
>> misstake.
>> 
>> What do you think?
>
> Yep, looks like a typo introduced by 00ea64ed7a (doc/git-commit: add
> documentation for fixup=[amend|reword] options, 2021-03-15).

I stumbled upon it while working on a synopsis parsing tool, similar to
the Python docopt if familiar.

> Want to try your hand at producing a patch? (It's OK if the answer is
> no; it just seems like a good opportunity for somebody to get their feet
> wet on contributing).

I can try, why not? Should I hang it up on this thread so to say. Is
this a bug report?