Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Oct 2023, #01; Mon, 2)

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 23:59:17 +0300

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>>> If I have to pick a candidate for "get me diff" that is the most
>>> useful among those currently are available, it is "give patches to
>>> all single-parent commit, and show tricky conflict resolution part
>>> only for merge commits".
>>
>> I'm afraid you need to pick a candidate that will be natural for '-d',
>> not just most useful output for your workflows, whatever it happens to
>> be.
>
> Literal match to word "diff" does not necessarily mean it is useful,

Sure, who argues? I don't.

> and short-and-sweet single-letter option name is primarily about
> letting users reach useful features with minimum typing [*1*], so you
> cannot avoid "most useful" being a large part of the equation.

I don't try to avoid "most useful" either, quite opposite. With whom do
you argue?

I just pointed that a short-cut would better be natural (or mnemonic)
/as well/, so you probably don't actually want:

  -d:
     give patches to all single-parent commits, and show tricky conflict
     resolution part only for merge commits.

, or do you?

Overall, as an example, I'd understand if you had deflected the patch
with "let's rather use -d for '--decorate=short', or '--date=relative'",
or something like that, but you don't, leaving me uncertain about your
actual worries and intentions.

Anyway, I re-submitted the patches avoiding precious, too hard to
deserve single-letter option.

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov