Subject: Re: [PATCH] docs: Clarify what git-rebase's "--preserve-merges" does

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:13:23 +0300

Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> The patch was discussed here:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/198125
>
> The reason that this has not progressed any further is this response
> in the thread:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/198125/focus=198483
>
> where you basically say that a --first-parent mode is good, but it
> should be separate from --preserve-merges. I haven't made up my mind,
> yet, how to proceed from there.

As far as I can see, there are 2 separate issues:

1. How to calculate the set of commits to rebase.

2. How to rebase merge commits.

Can we leave (1) for a while at its current state and focus on (2)?
Johannes's patch contains a fix for that: use cherry-pick to recreate
merge commits instead of trying to re-merge. Could this change be
accepted alone, as a known fix for current buggy behavior of loosing
user changes in merge commits?

-- Sergey.