Subject: Re: git-scm.com website

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 18:49:07 +0100

Scott Chacon <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 9:06 AM, David Kastrup <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Personally, I consider the recent migration of the Emacs repository to
>> Git a bigger endorsement but then that's me.
>
> I would love to have Emacs on that page, actually. If you guys want me
> to add that, I'm happy to. I didn't know they moved over, I thought
> they were still a bzr shop.

I don't know who "you guys" is, but it would be my guess that
Stallman/FSF would not be enthused to see the Emacs logo added to that
particular list.

Emacs used Bzr particularly to promote an alternative to Git more open
to the free software philosophy promoted by the FSF.  Once Bzr
development became non-responsive and Canonical turned it more into a
Canonical-owned rather than a community project, it became sort of
pointless to stick with a technically less popular choice.

So Emacs fairly recently switched to Git.

So it's sort of a screaming and kicking endorsement.  Some people would
claim that those are the best, but it does not really fit well with the
spirit of this front page.

>> It might make sense to reduce this list just to "Projects" since
>> those are actually more tangible and verifiable.  Or scrap it
>> altogether.
>
> Sorry, I disagree with this. I think it's helpful for people to see
> some important corporations that are using it,

Where is the point if they don't see how or in what scale?

> since many people coming to the page are doing research to figure out
> if they want to switch to it in their companies. It also demonstrates
> that these large companies are participating in the open source
> community

Uh no, it doesn't.  "Uses $x" does not constitute participation.

-- 
David Kastrup