Subject: Re: [PATCH] bash prompt: add option to disable for a repository

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 09:40:42 +0100

Heikki Hokkanen <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Gah! This adds a fork+exec each time the prompt is shown. Not good,
>> particularly on Windows.
>>
>> Since your intent is to disable the prompt in the home directory,
>> wouldn't that mean that most of the time you *don't* want the prompt?
>> Wouldn't you be better served with a method that *turns on* the prompt?
>> For example, a shell function that sets PS1 and another one that unsets
>> it? Or a wrapper that inspects a shell variable and calls __git_ps1 only
>> when you want a prompt.
>
> Actually, I do want the prompt for all other git repositories. The
> problem with $HOME is that it's the default directory after logging in
> or opening a terminal, so if you have git prompt sourced and your
> $HOME under git, you get an unbearable delay every time you open a
> terminal, or type a command, anywhere, except for a separate git
> repository.

Umm... is __git_ps1 by itself so slow that you find it unbearable, or is
it the worktree status discovery?  Because the latter can already be
controlled per repository via bash.showUntrackedFiles and
bash.showUpstream.

-- 
Thomas Rast
[email-masked]