Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 23/24] introduce GIT_INDEX_VERSION environment variable

From: Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 06:01:27 +0200

Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Respect a GIT_INDEX_VERSION environment variable, when a new index is
>> initialized.  Setting the environment variable will not cause existing
>> index files to be converted to another format for additional safety.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Thomas Gummerer <[email-masked]>
>> ---
>>  read-cache.c | 9 +++++++--
>>  1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
>
> There should be a line or two about this variable in git.txt, section
> "Environment variables". We could even have core.defaultIndexVersion
> for people who don't want to set environment variables (and set this
> key in ~/.gitconfig instead) but this is not important now.

Ok, I'll add it in git.txt.  I agree, core.defaultIndexVersion can still
be done in a follow-up patch, the environment variable is the important
thing now because it's used for testing.  Existing repositories have to
be converted with git-update-index anyway.