Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 11/13] remote-hg: force remote push

From: Jed Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 15:48:08 -0500

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> will need to play by those rules.
>
> No, we don't. The fact that you say so doesn't make it so.

Then perhaps we have different goals [1].  I don't know any Git User that
would prefer to have an Hg upstream accessed through remote-hg.  We have
to assume that every Git (remote-hg) User is dealing with Hg Team that
is setting the rules, since otherwise Git User would just change the
whole damn project to Git and be done with it.  In that sense, it is
inappropriate to do things that are likely to make Hg Team yell at Git
User.

> I create a branch felipec-bookmarks, and I push as many heads as I
> wish. Who will get affected? Nobody.

Every Hg user will see those heads by default every time they run 'hg
log' or 'hg heads'.

> And who says we are committing upstream?

The discussion is moot if you don't want to push your commits upstream.

[1] As I mentioned earlier, I don't need either tool any more.