Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] Add contrib/credentials/netrc with GPG support

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 14:40:31 -0500

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 11:06:16 -0800 Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote: 

JCH> Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Sorry, I didn't realize contrib/ stuff was under the same rules.

JCH> I had a feeling that this may start out from contrib/ but will soon
JCH> prove to be fairly important to be part of the Git proper.

Cool!

>> It would help if the requirements were codified as the fairly standard
>> Emacs file-local variables, so I can just put them in the Perl code or
>> in .dir-locals.el in the source tree.  At least for Perl I'd like that,
>> and it could be nice for the Emacs users who write C too.
>> 
>> Would you like me to propose that as a patch?

JCH> I thought that we tend to avoid Emacs/Vim formatting cruft left in
JCH> the file.  Do we have any in existing file outside contrib/?

No, but it's a nice way to express the settings so no one is guessing
what the project prefers.  At least for me it's not an issue anymore,
since I understand your criteria better now, so let me know if you want
me to express it in the CodingGuidelines, in a dir-locals.el file, or
somewhere else.

>> Either way, I guessed that these settings are what you want as far as
>> tabs and indentation (I use cperl-mode but perl-mode is the same):
>> 
>> # -*- mode: cperl; tab-width: 8; cperl-indent-level: 4; indent-tabs-mode: t; -*-

JCH> Indent is done with a Tab and indent level is 8 places (check add--interactive.perl
JCH> and imitate it, perhaps?).

Yup, got it.  My mistake on the size-4 indents.

I found this helpful, at least while I was indenting, for anyone else
who might want to indent Perl appropriately to imitate existing Perl code:

# -*- mode: cperl; tab-width: 8; cperl-indent-level: 8; indent-tabs-mode: t; -*-

I'll resubmit now.

Thanks
Ted