Subject: Re: [PATCH] rebase -i: avoid checking out $branch when possible

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:01:32 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thomas Rast <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I was a bit torn on whether I should abort with checkout, or without
>> it.  The manual clearly states that rebase "will perform an automatic
>> git checkout <branch> before doing anything else", which mandates at
>> least *trying* the checkout in the error path, hence this version.
>>
>> However, in contrived cases this can lead to strange behavior.  For
>> example, a checkout conflict with a file in the worktree may prevent
>> the abort path from working correctly, even though going through with
>> the rebase itself may succeed.
>
> Given all that contortion, is it even worth doing this?

Well, the logic isn't new; 0cb0664 already does the same.  It just never
carried over to interactive rebase.

As to whether the whole thing is worth it: if you rebase all your topics
against master regularly, and 'make test' on each, this patch may speed
that up greatly if you are careful about using a branch argument for
rebase.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch