Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] blame: fix email output with mailmap

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 20:57:17 +0100

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> Cc: [email-masked],  Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>,  "Brian Gianforcaro" <[email-masked]>,  "Marius Storm-Olsen" <[email-masked]>,  "Junio C Hamano" <[email-masked]>

I hope you noticed that Cc lists like the above really prove my point
that you cannot automate common sense.  Your cccmd script apparently
uses the line range in

> diff --git a/builtin/blame.c b/builtin/blame.c
> --- a/builtin/blame.c
> +++ b/builtin/blame.c
> @@ -1403,10 +1403,13 @@

to determine who to Cc.  But in doing so, it dug up an old address for
Junio.  It also added Brian whose only fault in all of this was fixing
style of the 'if' you are patching.

And on top of that it had absolutely no way of knowing that Cc'ing Peff
would have been a good idea, seeing as you two were involved in an
earlier discussion about this precise bug.

(Granted, omitting *Peff* doesn't make that much of a difference, since
for all I know he reads every email that crosses this list.  But my
point still stands.)

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch