Subject: Re: Git benchmarks at OpenOffice.org wiki

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 09:03:30 +0200

* Jakub Narebski:

> The problem is with 'Size of checkout': to start working in repository
> one needs 1.4G (sources) and 98M (third party) for CVS checkout (it is
> 1.5G for sources for Subversion checkout).

The text bases for Subversion really should take another 1.4 GiB.
As a result, Subversion should be closer to 3 GiB.

> What might help here is splitting repository into current (e.g. from
> OOo 2.0) and historical part, and / or using shallow clone.

You could also split along project boundaries, but this is probably
too political.

> What I'm really concerned about is branch switch and merging branches,
> when one of the branches is an old one (e.g. unxsplash branch), which 
> takes 3min (!) according to the benchmark. 13-25sec for commit is also 
> bit long, but BRANCH SWITCHING which takes 3 MINUTES!?

IIRC, GIT accesses every file in the tree, not just the ones that need
updating.  How many files were actually updated when you changed
branches in your experiment?