Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/4] parse_commit(): handle broken whitespace-only timestamp

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 16:31:52 +0200

On Apr 26 2023, Phillip Wood wrote:

> On 25/04/2023 17:06, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> This probably doesn't matter in practice but we define our own
>>> isspace() that does not treat '\v' and '\f' as whitespace. However
>>> parse_timestamp() (which is just strtoumax()) uses the standard
>>> library's isspace() which does treat those characters as whitespace
>>> and is locale dependent. This means we can potentially stop at a
>>> character that parse_timestamp() treats as whitespace and if there are
>>> no digits after it we'll still walk past the end of the line. Using
>>> Rene's suggestion of testing the character with isdigit() would fix
>>> that. It would also avoid parsing negative timestamps as positive
>>> numbers 
>
>>> and reject any timestamps that begin with a locale dependent
>>> digit.
>
> Sorry, that bit is not correct, I've since checked the C standard and I
> think strtoul() and friends expect ascii digits (isdigit() and isxdigit()
> are also locale independent unlike isspace(), isalpha() etc.)

The standard says:

    In other than the "C" locale, additional locale-specific subject
    sequence forms may be accepted.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1
"And now for something completely different."