Subject: Re: Dealing with corporate email recycling

From: Sean Allred <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 17:23:36 -0500

<[email-masked]> writes:
> What about abstracting this into a map-email or map-identity hook of
> some kind? So, whenever there is a need to write an identity
> (committer, author, signed-off-by, etc.). That way, anyone who wants
> to, can implement whatever policy they want for replacing emails with
> some other value in the repo, and back again.

This is an interesting idea, but I'm afraid it might be difficult for
forges to implement support for as opposed to something built-in.  If
that's not as difficult as I might think it is, then perhaps this is a
viable option once fleshed out.

> It might be good to optimize it so that the hook is only invoked once
> per identity per request so that git log does not become insanely
> expensive.

I'll add that Windows (and our particular environment) makes this
troublesome as well.  Currently we see a base cost of 300ms for starting
up a process.  Given how many identities git-log and friends would be
chugging through, any hook would need to be capable of staying open --
feeding identities through stdin.  I'm not sure run_hooks supports that
right now.

--
Sean Allred