Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] make: add INSTALL_STRIP option variable

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 09:46:44 +0200

On Thu, Sep 16 2021, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:

> On 16/09/21 16.50, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> ...this really is not an INSTALL_STRIP but (using some combination of
>> your own naming) a "INSTALL_XPROGRAMS_OPTS" or "INSTALL_XOPTS". I.e. you
>> can supply arbitrary options to "install" with this, but only for
>> binaries.
>> 
>
> I think it should have been "INSTALL_STRIP_OPTS". This could haven't
> been issue if we add global (applicable tobinaries and scripts) 
> "INSTALL_OPTS".

Isn't the reason to have that split-up because it would break if you try
to strip(1) a Perl or shellscript?

>> Also doesn't this misbehave under MSVC when combined with *.pdb files?
>> See dce7d295514 (msvc: support building Git using MS Visual C++,
>> 2019-06-25) and a8b5355d808 (msvc: copy the correct `.pdb` files in the
>> Makefile target `install`, 2020-09-21) , i.e. the code at the start of
>> your diff context.
>> Does stripping the main binary while having a *.pdb file error or
>> MSCV,
>> or make the *.pdb file useless, or is *.pdb an unconditional equivalent
>> of INSTALL_STRIP=-s on MSCV that we should disable if this
>> hopefully-then-boolean INSTALL_STRIP option is enabled?
>> 
>
> I'm not familiar with MSVC, so I can't tell further except you can
> pass null ("") to INSTALL_STRIP.

Yes, to be clear I'm not asking for practical assistance in building git
with MSVC.

I'm pointing out that it seems that the option you added introduces an
edge case in how we combine with an existing option/ifdef that may not
be desirable, and that you might be interested in looking at
it/submitting a follow-up patch if it does turn out that the interaction
is undesirable.