Subject: Re: [PATCH v13 4/5] bugreport: add uname info

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 00:19:16 +0200

On Thu, Apr 16 2020, Emily Shaffer wrote:

> The contents of uname() can give us some insight into what sort of
> system the user is running on, and help us replicate their setup if need
> be. The domainname field is not guaranteed to be available, so don't
> collect it.

Even with _GNU_SOURCE would anyone care about the domainname (the NIS/YP
name, not DNS) these days, as opposed to the portable POSIX "nodename"
field you're not including?

In any case, I'd think it's a good idea to omit both. People tend not to
want to want to include their FQDN (e.g. their employer), and I can't
think of a reason we'd care about it for debugging git.

> [...]
> +		strbuf_addf(sys_info, "%s %s %s %s\n",
> +			    uname_info.sysname,
> +			    uname_info.release,
> +			    uname_info.version,
> +			    uname_info.machine);

Since this is completely free-form I'd think:

    "sysname: %s\nrelease: %s\nversion: %s\nmachine: %s\nnodename: %s\ndomainname: %s\n",

Or something like that would be better (after pruning out the fields we
don't care about).