Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2021, #05; Mon, 25)

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2021 02:04:26 +0100

On Tue, Jan 26 2021, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> * ab/grep-pcre-invalid-utf8 (2021-01-24) 2 commits
>  - grep/pcre2: better support invalid UTF-8 haystacks
>  - grep/pcre2 tests: don't rely on invalid UTF-8 data test
>
> * ab/retire-pcre1 (2021-01-23) 2 commits
>  - Remove support for v1 of the PCRE library
>  - config.mak.uname: remove redundant NO_LIBPCRE1_JIT flag

I have a few follow-up patches this grep/pcre2 area to fix some
longstanding bugs, but am holding them off because they'll conflict
badly with both of these, and I thought maybe I shouldn't submit some
giant "fix misc stuff related to xyz" topic again if I could help it :)

So if you/reviewers are taking requests getting some eyes on these to
get it down into next/master sooner than later would be great. 

In particular the PCREv1 removal topic is rather trivially reviewable in
the sense of whether we're removing the right code. But the real
question is if anyone's still depending on PCREv1 badly enough to want
to not have this, which we're more likely to see as it's merged down
sooner than later in the cycle.

> * ab/detox-gettext-tests (2021-01-21) 3 commits
>  - tests: remove uses of GIT_TEST_GETTEXT_POISON=false
>  - tests: remove support for GIT_TEST_GETTEXT_POISON
>  - ci: remove GETTEXT_POISON jobs
>
>  Get rid of "GETTEXT_POISON" support altogether, which may or may
>  not be controversial.

I just sent a reply to the one minor outstanding technical issue in the
series, i.e. figuring out what to do about the GETTEXT_POISON ci job
(drop or rename?).

But the main question is the "do we keep GETTEXT_POISON at all, and if
so is anyone's interested in not doing this and doing Johannes's rot13
proposal instead?".

As noted in the thread I honestly don't care much either way where we go
with this, I'd just like to either drop the patch or get it off my plate
sooner than later, so if you love/hate/meh the GETTEXT_POISON mode,
chime in.