Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/76] Convert diff opt parser to parse_options()

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 15:32:49 +0100

On Thu, Jan 17 2019, Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy wrote:

> This series converts diff option parsing to using parse-options. There
> are a couple benefits of using parse-options, including "git <cmd> -h"
> output, completion and less duplicate work.
>
> This is the first half. The second one would be converting the option
> parser in revision.c.  After that, the end game is, any command can
> take a 'struct option[]' somewhere from diff/rev code, remove the
> options they are not interested, then merge with their own options and
> do parse_options() just once. There will be no separate parse phase
> for revision/diff anymore.
>
> I sent a sneak peek [1] last year and got two good comments. I take it
> people at least did not oppose to this. The most interesting parts are
> at the top and bottom. The middle is just boring conversion, usually
> one option per patch.

I'm very much for this, and have skimmed it (but not stress tested) and
it looks good to me. I have some WIP patches to --abbrev that conflict,
but which will be simpler as a result of this.