Subject: Re: [PATCH] git.el: handle default excludesfile properly

From: Alexandre Julliard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 05:54:11 -0600

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Having said that, I am sorry to say that I am not sure if the copy
> we have is the one to be patched, so I would appreciate if Alexandre
> (cc'ed) can clarify the situation.  The last change done to our copy
> of the script is from 2012, and I do not know if Alexandre is still
> taking care of it here but the script is so perfect that there was
> no need to update it for the past 5 years and we haven't seen an
> update, or the caninical copy is now being maintained elsewhere and
> we only have a stale copy, or what.

This is the canonical version, and I guess in theory I'm still taking
care of it. However, the need that git.el was originally addressing is
now fulfilled by better tools. As such, I feel that it has outlived its
usefulness, and I'm no longer actively developing it.

I'd recommend that anybody still using it switch to Magit, which is
being actively maintained, and IMO superior to git.el in all respects.

-- 
Alexandre Julliard
[email-masked]