Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] pager: remove 'S' from $LESS by default

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 20:00:22 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> I still find the output from "git blame" disturbing, though.  The
> first thing I do in "git blame" output is to scroll to the right in
> order to identify the the area I am interested in, and this first
> step is not negatively affected, because the right scrolled output 
> automatically wraps long lines.
>
> But my second step is to scroll back to the left edge to find the
> commit object name and at that point, the new default output without
> "S" gets somewhat annoying, because most of the output lines from
> "git blame" are longer than my window width.

git blame sucks in anything but fullscreen either way.  It would help to
display _only_ the source code and have the other info as mouse-over,
but that's not something a pager can do.

It is a pity that the content can be columnized much worse than the
metadata: otherwise it would make much more sense to display the content
_first_ in line.  The metadata is useless without the content anyway.

-- 
David Kastrup