Subject: Re: Make format-patch produce UTF-8 `From:' header

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 12:19:00 -0700

Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]> writes:
> Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Maybe format-patch could provide another mode to produce patches that
>> do not include unnecessary headers (in particular, leaving out the
>> difficult "From " line and using UTF-8 instead of quoted-printable for
>> the "From: " line).

> FWIW, the quoted-printable `From:' encoding has always annoyed me -- I
> replace it manually with my name & address in UTF-8 every time I send
> out a patch. What is the reason format-patch does that (and if there is
> a reason not to change the default, could an option to disable it be
> provided)?

Well, it's required if you're going to actually send the result directly
as a mail message, since the RFC 5322 format requires headers be encoded
using RFC 2047 encoding.  But if you're just attaching the patch to
another mail message, it's pointless.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>