Subject: Re: Emacs git-mode feature request: support fill-paragraph correctly

From: Peter Simons <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:46:15 +0100

Bruce Stephens <[email-masked]> writes:

 >> Other modes, such as message-mode, do support that kind of thing
 >> correctly, so apparently it is possible to configure what the
 >> editor considers as a paragraph. Is there some Emacs wizard out
 >> there who'd be kind enough to improve git-mode accordingly?
 >
 > I suspect this doesn't directly relate to git-mode. What mode
 > does emacs say you're in at this point? I'm guessing the buffer
 > name is COMMIT_EDITMSG and the mode is fundamental-mode?

The buffer is in "log-edit" mode.

 > In that case you could stick this in your .emacs if you wanted to
 > use message-mode:
 >
 > (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("COMMIT_EDITMSG" . message-mode) auto-mode-alist))

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. I'm not an Emacs expert, but I'd
assume that switching into a different mode would change the meaning
of C-c C-c.

Peter