Subject: Re: Yet another "emacs-git" mode on emacs

From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 13:05:52 -0400

One thing that stood out in your guided tour is the "Commit with an
automatically generated log message" if there are files not "up to date"
(which I guess means index does not match HEAD, OR working dir does not
match index).  It seems that this is almost certainly a bad feature to
have.

More generally, it seems that your package does not have the right
conceptual organization with respect to the index.  (The lack of the
word index in the guided tour document provides strong evidence of
this.)

Git is in many ways much more powerful than other version control
systems, but much of this power comes from having a more complicated
conceptual framework (in particular, it has the concept of the index,
which seems to be fairly unique to git).  In designing an Emacs UI for
git that can support all of its functionality, the same conceptual
organization must be used as git itself has.

-- 
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard