Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/2] Fix two hook conversion regressions

From: Adrian Ratiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2026 19:19:53 +0200

On Thu, 15 Jan 2026, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Adrian Ratiu <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> This series fixes 2 regressions reported by Chris and Kristoffer,
>> introduced by the 'ar/run-command-hook' merge into master.
>>
>> Based on a discussion with Peff on v2, I do plan to revisit and
>> rework the server-side hook I/O polling & batching logic, however
>> that will be a separate patch unrelated to these two regressions.
>
> I've read these two over once again, and am inclined to say that we
> should merge these in upcoming 2.53 release.  Opinions?

I agree with this.

We can't let these two regressions enter a release, so we have two
real chices:

1. Merge both fixes to 1.53 or
2. Revert the 'ar/run-command-hook' topic merge.

The only remaining known open issue is the potential deadlocks in
server-side hooks highlighted by Peff, however that is less severe than
these two (I'd actually be surprised if anyone hits in practice without
a well crafted use case, having access to those hooks).

So I'm inclined for option 1, to land the fixes.

(OFC I'm working on the deadlock issue in parallel, just addressed the
user bug reports first).

Thanks,
Adrian