Subject: Re: Merging problem

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2024 23:53:56 +0300

Michael Salman <[email-masked]> writes:

> I am new to using git and I encountered the following problem
>
> 1) Created a repository using Notepad added a file (FileA.txt). Put one line of text in the file. Did a git commit -a. so far so good.
>
> 2) I created a branch (my-branch), did a git checkout my-branch
>
> 3) Using notepad loaded FileA and changed the first line of text to something else. Gave command git commit -a no problems
>
> 4) Git checkout master looked at FileA nothing changed
>
> 5) Did a git merge my-branch. No conflict reported
>
> 6) Loaded FileA in master the text of the first line had changed to what is in FileA from the branch
>
> Your help with this problem would be appreciated. I hope this is not
> due to my lack of understanding

You didn't tell us what outcome you expected, but to me all looks fine:
you've merged your changes (made at step 3) from side branch to the
master branch, and now your changes (made at step 3) are there on the
master branch as well: that's the whole purpose of merges.

As there were no any changes on master, there is nothing there for a
potential conflict, so all went pretty smooth, as expected. If you
change first line of the file in notepad (differently from step 3)
between steps 4 and 5 as well, and commit your changes, you will then
get conflict during merge.

-- Sergey Organov