Subject: Re: standalone library/tool to query commit-graph?

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 11:49:28 +0200

On Fri, May 24 2019, SZEDER Gábor wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 07:48:33PM -0400, Derrick Stolee wrote:
>> On 5/23/2019 6:20 PM, SZEDER Gábor wrote:
>> > On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 11:54:22PM +0200, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>
>> >> and since the commit graph doesn't include any commits outside of
>> >> packs you'd miss any loose commits.
>> >
>> > No, the commit-graph includes loose commits as well.
>>
>> Depends on how you build the commit-graph.
>
> Yeah; I just didn't want to go into details, hoping that this short
> reply will be enough to jog Ævar's memory to recall our earlier
> discussion about this :)

To clarify (and I should have said) I meant it'll include only packed
commits in the mode Karl Ostmo invoked it in, as Derrick points out.

But yeah, you can of course give it arbitrary starting points, but
needing to deal with those sorts of caveats makes it rather useless in
practice for the sort of use-case Jakub mused about, but more
importantly a full XML dump of the graph isn't going to get much of a
benefit from the commit graph, it helps with algorithms that want to
avoid those sorts of full walks.