Subject: Re: [WIP 0/8] Trying to revive GIT_TEST_PROTOCOL_VERSION

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 10:31:49 +0100

On Wed, Jan 16 2019, Jonathan Tan wrote:

> Ævar, are you planning to revive GIT_TEST_PROTOCOL_VERSION? I have
> updated the patchset in light of some new branches that have appeared.
>
> This is on master merged with:
>  - jk/proto-v2-hidden-refs-fix
>  - tg/t5570-drop-racy-test
>  - js/protocol-advertise-multi
>  - jt/upload-pack-deepen-relative-proto-v2
>  - jt/fetch-pack-v2

I'm happy to have you pick that up as you've done here, especially since
you're actually working on v2 and I'm not, so you can more easily know
what it conflicts with etc. I just wanted to have it in one way or
another, i.e. be able to deploy v2 and assert that "next + custom
patches" doesn't break something for v2.

I think [CC: Junio] that we shouldn't be concerned about an addition of
GIT_TEST_PROTOCOL_VERSION patches in any form breaking the test suite
under GIT_TEST_PROTOCOL_VERSION=2, and just be concerned about the
default GIT_TEST_PROTOCOL_VERSION= case. I.e. if we have v2 patches
in-flight that break things no big deal, we can always circle back and
fix those things or annotate the tests.