Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/8] perl: update our ancient copy of Error.pm

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 21:46:34 +0100

On Wed, Feb 14 2018, Jonathan Nieder jotted:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>
>> The Error.pm shipped with Git as a fallback if there was no Error.pm
>> on the system was released in April 2006, there's been dozens of
>> releases since then, the latest at August 7, 2017, let's update to
>> that.
>
> Comma splices:
>  s/, there's/. There's/
>  s/, let's/. Let's/
>
> The one piece of information I was curious about that this (quite clear,
> thank you) commit message is missing is what changed in the intervening
> time.  Is this just about keeping up with upstream to make it easy to
> keep up later, or has upstream made any useful changes?  E.g. did any
> API or behaviors get better?

Will note that in v2, nothing we need changed, this is just a matter of
keeping up, and e.g. if I run Git on Debian I get a few month old
Error.pm, but if I build Git from source I get one that's more than a
decade old.

> Related: do we have to worry about in-tree users taking advantage of
> improved API and packagers forgetting to add a dependency on the new
> version?  Do we declare the minimal required Error.pm version somewhere
> (e.g. in the INSTALL file)?

We don't, but if that situation arises we could just start doing 'use
<module> <version>' to declare it, see "perldoc -f use", but right now
we work on seemingly every version of these modules ever released.