Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation/CommunityGuidelines

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:41:00 +0200

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Thomas Rast <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> My approach -- and in my perception also that preferred by most of the
>> regulars who have spoken in this whole mess -- is that since there is a
>> fire hazard, it would be more effective firefighting to just remove the
>> hazard, thus preventing future fires.
>
> You would make an excellent evil dictator.
>
> A benevolent dictator like Linus Torvalds knows better, in the LKML
> "fire hazards" are not removed, they are ignored before any flames go
> up. This achieves the best of both worlds; if the person is truly
> vicious, nothing happens, but if there's something to it, a person
> that doesn't offend so easily might have a fruitful discussion, while
> the rest ignore the thread.
>
> In a flamewar everyone is guilty. Apparently you never learned that
> "but he started it!" is not a defense worthy of an adult, hell, even
> most children know that.

[Yes, I should let this thread die, but you are offering me too good a
chance to pass up.]

It's funny that you would mention Linus, considering there's at least
one instance on record where he broke almost every rule that Ram
attempted to set out in the thread starter, calling you among other
things a "fucking moron" and telling you to "go away".

  https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/4/12/434

In case our readers wonder why the flame war suddenly died out at a
depth of about 19 replies, fear not, for the story continued:

  https://plus.google.com/108736516888538655285/posts/7QSVy8taWgC

And before you try to shoot that down, please make sure your argument
also applies to the recurring situation of your repeatedly ignoring
SubmittingPatches as far as commit messages go against explicit requests
to stop that.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch