Subject: Re: Git server eats all memory

From: Ivan Kanis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 08:33:02 +0200

Avery Pennarun <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Ivan Kanis

>> I am having problem with memory ballooning when receiving object
>> from the server. The amount of memory used on the server seems to be same
>> size as the object received.

> Git works fine with huge repositories; it does not work fine at all
> with very large individual objects in a repository, and it does what
> you're experiencing.

Hello Avery,

The largest object is 120M. I didn't describe the problem very
accurately. The memory consumed is the *sum* of the objects
downloaded. 

For example, a repository of 4G consumes 4G of memory at the end of the
receiving objects phase. What is very interesting is the total of
objects downloaded is the same as the memory consumed. That makes me
think there is a link somewhere. Surely it shouldn't consume that much
memory.

I am ready to do whatever to diagnose the problem. I know C pretty well
and am ready to look into it but I am not sure where to start.

Take care,
-- 
Ivan Kanis
http://kanis.fr

Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow.
    -- Oscar Wilde