Subject: Re: tracking remotes with Git

From: Michael Poole <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 11:37:17 -0500

Ivan Shmakov writes:

>         I'm using Git (1.5.3.5 debian 1) for about a day or so, and I'm
>         quite impressed that it allows tracking remote repositories
>         (I've tried CVS and SVN) so easily with `git-cvsimport' and
>         `git-svn'.  However, I've ran into a couple of problems with
>         them:
>
>         * it looks like `git-cvsimport' uses its own CVS protocol
>           implementation which doesn't support compression; I've tried
>           to clone a repository of a project hosted in CVS since circa
>           1998 and it 20 MiB or so to obtain revisions until 2000 or so;
>           any ways to minimize traffic?

What I do is arguably a horrible kludge, but it works well: rsync to
mirror the CVS repository to my local drive, and cvsimport from that.
When I was tweaking the import process (command-line options and the
author conversion file), having the local copy helped a lot.

Michael Poole